Enrollment in our "class" officially opened one month ago, on February 1. Since that time, our class has had 1000 views, 100 likes, and nearly 100 official students (and a whole slew of stalkers apparently, but whatever!). To say I'm overwhelmed is an understatement. I really thought I'd be lecturing to my Morton's toe for months on end, before giving up and drowning myself in Krispy Kremes. Thank you for saving me from that fate (although is it really "saving" when Krispy Kremes are involved?)
More importantly than the site stats is the community we're building here. I rush to the computer every single morning, eager to see your comments and ideas. This virtual classroom has become like my real world classroom; I'm learning much more from all of you than I'm managing to dish out.
Most of my learning happens by reading your blogs. I'm obsessed with your blogs, so much so that I think my husband believes I have some online lover. Given my new-found blog reading obsession, it's only right that, on this one-month anniversary, I share what I've been reading by accepting THREE awards. (THREE!) Here goes:
THE LIEBSTER AWARD
Nominated by MJ at Unlost in Translation, where terrific, complicated, thought-provoking career/life grappling takes place.
To accept this award I have to answer 11 questions she posed for me:
- Favorite Country: Switzerland. Clean, efficient, friendly, gorgeous. Can’t beat it.
- Favorite color: The chestnut brown of my daughter’s eyes
- Favorite non-work activity: Work is fun to me (I’ve finally gotten to that point in crafting my career!), but outside of “work,” I like to take day trips around the Maine coast with my family
- Best movie: Oh boy, toughie. Probably “Frequency.” It got bad reviews and it’s sort of weird, but I love the idea of it.
- Favorite movie to watch when down: “13 Going on 30.” Makes me smile every time (don’t judge me)
- Favorite fiction: Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
- First thing I read every day: The time on the clock to see how long my toddler daughter has managed to sleep. Then email.
- Different first name: Sheesh, I had a hard enough picking a name for my kid. Girls’ names are rough. I like Rebecca because it’s pretty neutral. But maybe I’d go with Adeline to have a little more flair.
- Favorite TV show: The Amazing Race. Vicarious travel on a weekly basis.
- Tattoos: None for me (life is painful enough!), but I appreciate them as body art and personal expression for others.
- Favorite City: Quebec City
I also need to award the nomination to 11 blogs with less than 200 followers:
- Life Here at Twentysomething http://lifehereattwentysomething.com/
- The Science Bit http://thesciencebit.net/
- INFJoe http://infjoe.wordpress.com/
- Erasing the Stripes http://erasingthestripes.wordpress.com/
- Beating a Quarterlife Crisis http://quarterlifecrisis.org/
- Clues to Life http://cluestolife.wordpress.com/
- Ally Denton http://allydenton.com/
- Quarter Life Crisis http://kendalllarae.wordpress.com/
- It’s a Man’s World http://emilysteezy.com/
- My Dialogue http://myndfuq.wordpress.com/
- KGalvino http://kgvalino.wordpress.com/
And then here are the 11 questions that I would like the bloggers above to answer. We'll stay topical!
- What is your definition of "career"?
- What did you want to be when you were in elementary school?
- What major did you expect to have when you started college?
- What major did you actually graduate with?
- Why did you change, if you did?
- If you didn't have to worry about any practicalities, what career would you pursue right now?
- What one thing holds you back most from your dream career?
- Whose career do you admire the most? Why?
- What does work-life balance mean to you?
- What could be done to better encourage/support career and identity development during college?
- What's your current incarnation of your All I Want to Be statement?
THE VERY INSPIRING BLOGGER AWARD
Nominated by Raimy at Creative Guru, where creative soul-searching lives. She's not just a great blogger, but also the MOST active member of our class and the person who has most kept me wanting to write this whole month. Without her, class simply wouldn't be the same. I think we should make her our mascot. With a little outfit and everything.
Anywho, the rules for this award are:
1/ Display award logo on your blog; 2/ Link back to the person who nominated you; 3/ State 7 things about yourself; 4/ Nominate 15 Bloggers for this award; 5/ Notify those bloggers
Here are the seven things about me:
- I'm allergic to chocolate. Have been since I was in kindergarten. People seem to always find this fact horrifying and incredible.
- One of my favorite destinations is Hershey, PA. (See Fact #1 if you are wondering why this fact is notable.)
- I grew up on the Jersey Shore. No, it's not like on TV.
- I won a contest in the fourth grade to adopt the favorite class gerbil, Cinnamon. It was one of the proudest days of my life. (Said gerbil lived to be FIVE years old. And survived being attacked and carried downstairs by our cat. Super gerbil.)
- Geraldo Rivera - then an unknown - knocked on my mom's door and asked for an interview when she was pregnant with me. She told him to get lost because she thought he looked like a weirdo. That is the closest I've ever come to fame. (Lest this read as if he wanted to interview her BECAUSE she was pregnant with me, let me clarify that he wanted to ask her about a controversial house being built down the street.)
- Bloopers shows crack me up. Way more than they should.
- I am so sensitive to caffeine that simply drinking a caffeinated root beer at lunch time causes me to be awake all night. (Bummer that I craved root beer throughout my pregnancy and didn't realize that Barq's "bite" is caffeine....it was a long 9 months.)
And the 15 blogs I nominate for the award:
- On Crafting a Life http://oncraftingalife.com/
- Good at Life http://darapoznar.com/
- Life on a Branch http://lifeonabranch.wordpress.com/
- Seize the Reins http://seizethereins.com/
- Sweetly Indecisive http://sweetlyindecisive.wordpress.com/
- No Debt Brunette http://nodebtbrunette.com/
- Bipedalling http://bipedalling.com/
- Habits of Thinking http://habitsofthinking.wordpress.com/
- Things Career Related http://thingscareerrelated.com/
- Three Sassy Ladies http://threesassyladies.wordpress.com/
- Musings of a Recent College Graduate http://awritespot.wordpress.com/
- Sara Perring Coaching http://saraperring.wordpress.com/
- A Path to Pursue http://apathtopursue.com/
- Patrick Goonan http://patca63.wordpress.com/
- Career Seeker’s Guide http://irishcareerman.wordpress.com/
The Versatile Blogger Award
Nominated by Ashsappley at Chaos and Words, whose perspective is fresh and confident, and who has become an amazing contributor to our class discussions. Looking forward to hearing even more from her!
For this award you're also supposed to say seven interesting things about myself but the thing is, I just did that for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award and we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. ("Interesting" and "college professor" do not mix.) So please see above if you want to find out anything vaguely interesting about me.
But now onto the good part - the nomination of 15 blogs for this award:
- Stuff Grads Like http://stuffgradslike.com/
- Counting Ducks http://countingducks.wordpress.com/
- The Thriving Creative http://thethrivingcreative.com/
- Eunoic http://eunoic.com/
- Cute Potato http://cutepotato.com
- 20somethings in 2013 http://twentiesblog.wordpress.com/
- Gently Used Foliage http://likenewleaf.wordpress.com/
- Jonathan Hockey http://jonathanhockey.wordpress.com/
- Hearing With the Eye http://hearingwiththeeye.wordpress.com/
- Figuring Out Fulfillment http://figuringoutfulfillment.wordpress.com/
- Stressing Out College http://stressingoutcollege.wordpress.com/
- Things + Flesh http://tonyvlahos.net/
- Mindful Stew http://mindfulstew.wordpress.com/
- Espirational http://espirational.com/
- Minding the Workplace http://newworkplace.wordpress.com/
Thank you so much MJ, Raimy and Ashsappley! I am honored. Usually my students just give me dirty looks. This is so much nicer.
Listen up class - here's your homework assignment: Visit the nominator's blogs first, then visit the nominated blogs. I love them all and I think you will too. And then come back here and get ready - we still have fear of failure yet to be covered. Yikes...
(And if you want a little more of a challenge, then I invite you to answer the 11 questions I posed for the Liebster nominees. I'd love to see your thoughts!)